Monday, April 14, 2008

Winona, I Understand!

Winona is starting over again at 35. 35!! Incredible. She doesn't look 35.

I think she's probably most like her character in Girl Interrupted, which is a really good movie. I mean, shoplifting--Come ON, Winona!! I understand, but I don't understand. I'm worried that they might make a public expample of ME someday for all my theft. I've never taken quite as much as she did though. $5,000 worth of stuff is definitely not petty theft. The places where you shop, petty theft is hardly POSSIBLE.
----------------------------

Winona on her shoplifting arrest:
“The attention was what was embarrassing. It was the December after Sept. 11. … So much attention was being paid to me, when we had just been attacked, and there was all this really important news going on.”

Would you feel guilty if you shoplifted from corporate America? In Winona Ryder’s first interview on that fateful day in 2001 at the Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills, she says that she really didn’t.

"I didn’t have this tremendous sense of guilt, because I hadn’t hurt anyone. Had I physically harmed someone or caused harm to a human being, I think it would have been an entirely different experience.”

Well, she didn’t kill someone, but stealing technically does cause harm someone who’s trying to run a business.

But the million-dollar question after all of these years is why a famous, wealthy woman would actually steal. She blames it on painkillers that she got from a “quack” doctor.

"Two months prior to that, I broke my arm in two places, and the doctor, a sort of quack doctor, was giving me a lot of stuff and I was taking it at first to get through the pain. And then there was this weird point when you don’t know if you are in pain but you’re taking it.Have you ever taken painkillers? It isn’t a reckless (state), like you’re out of your head. It’s just confusion.”

The painkillers left her in a state of “confusion” But the arrest was a blessing in disguise because she never touched those pills again. She moved to San Francisco to be close to her parents and kept a low profile until now. She’s apparently gearing up for her three movie releases this year: Ten, Sex and Death 101, and The Last Word.

Well, I welcome back Winona. She’s done the classy thing and stayed on the down-low for years. Imagine that in the young Hollywood world we live in. You’ve got to admire that.
----------------------------------

Hmmm... yet at the same time, speaking from personal experience, this is something that you shift to when you are VERY angry inside. Because it's something that alot of people have done before, it's hard to believe it's an isolated incident of sloppy shoplifting. I think it was only sloppy because of the meds.

It's not an isolated incident with me. I stopped for a really looooong time. It was a moral thing and I didn't have anything really bad happen for years. Then suddenly, BAM, now it's hard to stop.

If anything, Winona has taught us that we are risking our careers. But somehow I think that Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie got off much easier than Winona.



from:
Winona Talks Shoplifting

and other sources.

No comments: